Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 22:55:01 -0700
The last known public lynching probably occurred in 1969. Yet, the last
lynching I know of occurred in March of 1979 in Northern Georgia. Only three
months before I moved from Virginia to Georgia. I mention this because I did
not for the most part feel in fear of my life in the state. I did travel
alone in several of the southern counties of Georgia. Several of the
Caucasians I met did ameliorate my fears of the rural sections of Georgia.
But, there were some counties especially north of Atlanta that Blacks were
told never to let the sun set with them inside the county. And, I did not
tempt fate.

As for those who in times past watched a public lynching, fear of judicial
reprisal was almost nonexistent as quite a few of the members of the crowd
were elected officials and members of the esteemed law enforcement.

What is really amazing are the number of photographed hangings from the
lynching events as seen in the exhibits and book "Without Sanctuary"
occurred in the town square and sometimes just in front of the courthouse.

But should we be shocked when we know of many brothers who fought against
each other in the American Civil War? It takes a lot of testicular fortitude
to speak out against injustice when you are only one against millions.

Glenn C. Gregory