Date:
Mon, 26 Feb 2007 21:45:46 -0600
Hmm....tens of thousands of others (petition signers) have evaluated the
facts and understand the issue perfectly.  Granted that President Nichol
claims he has gained the support of 71.5% of the W&M academic faculty, but
what's new, that's in line with national liberal-leaning statistics for
collegiate faculty, mostly tenured professors. (I believe 71.5% is in line
with fact, please correct me if anyone has data to the contrary.)  Look
again, Vince Haley took credit for nothing, he simply intiated efforts to
collect petition signatures intended to reverse President Nichol's arbitrary
decision.  (Petioning is one of our rights you know, it's not "making a
public political issue of it.")  At the date of the article in my posting
(11/17/06) Mr. Haley had only 2,100 signatures of students, alumni, and
concerned citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia, compared to 13,000
petitioning at other sources.  Haley's numbers now approach and likely
exceed 20,000, plus the multi-thousands who have signed petitions at the
other sources.
See: http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArticle.asp?ID=29161&pid=1541

Please note that I did not use the term 'attacking' for your words against
Haley, you alone used that word below.

You *did* use the words:

(1) "Vince Haley, of the American Enterprise Institute, a conservative
political think-tank, and others, chose to make a public political issue of
it."  (He did not, you did! and who were the 'others' in your claim, I don't
know....)
(2) "Vance and friends will no doubt claim victory for the evangelicals over
us godless heathens, just as he took credit for stirring up the controversy
in the first place."  (Again, he stirred up nothing except in your mind, and
your statement is obviously outrageous.)
Re: Your posting of 2/26/07, Archiving the Cross Discussion.

It is now past time to advance civic compromise.

Regards,
Neil McDonald
PS - I somehow thought Brent Tarter said awhile back that this topic is more
of a current issue and not to be discussed at VA-HIST.