From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Dec 2005 16:10:43 -0500
Talk about me getting on shaky ground.....  Bugles and trumpets, but I'll
try.    The bugle that we are so familiar with today was here by the time of
the American Civil War, and had pretty much replaced the drum in Cavalry
units as the signaling device.  (Would you like to try to roll a double
paraddiddle on a snare drum while on horseback?!?!)  The bugle today is
about 4 to 6 feet of coiled brass with a mouthpiece on one end and a bell on
the other.  In the hands of the average bugler, it can produce 5 notes.  But
the lowest one sounds 'blatty' so it really has only 4.    "Cceg"  The
interesting (maybe even amazing) thing to me is that just about every bugle
call in the world is made up of only those 4 notes....... Taps, Reveille,
Church Call, Sousa's bugle obbligatto to Semper Fideles, etc.  I think --
but am not sure -- that that type of bugle appeared maybe in the
Revolutionary War with British Cavalry.

The (military) Trumpet of the 1400's through mid 1700's was about 8 feet of
coiled tubing.  It could produce a pretty good sounding 8 notes -- twice as
many as the bugle. In its upper register, it had a pretty good scale of
"cdefg", and lower it had a good C and E and G.  That means it could make a
good stab at playing such things as WHEN THE KING ENJOYS HIS OWN AGAIN, A
MIGHTY FORTRESS IS OUR GOD,  OLD Hundredth PSALM TUNE, etc.  Washington
Irving has some hilarious accounts of Anthony van Corlear, trumpeter in New
Amsterdam who accompanied Gov. Peter Stuyvesant on his rounds.  It seems he
played not only warnings to arose the militia, but also social music to
entertain, particularly the ladies.  (I knew I should have learned the
trumpet rather than the tuba:))

There are, no doubt, trumpets left by the British Cavalry, and I expect the
Hessians also made extensive use of it.  But the large size of the trumpet
mouthpiece (relative to trumpet mouthpieces today, and bugle mouthpieces all
along) at Jamestowne seems to confirm that at some point there was a true
'trumpet' of about 8 coiled or folded feet on the other end.  Hopefully,
research may even give some leads to who the musician was, and maybe even
what he played.

Incidentally, the bugle itself became such an importanty part of the
military, it was used in the 1800's as the sign of the Infantry.  Even after
the Artillery had gone to crossed cannon and the Cavalry to crossed sabers,
the Infantry stuck with the single bugle.  The Italian mountain troops still
use the symbol on their hats.  And I think several European countries use
that bugle as a sign of the post office.

More than you ever wanted to know about bugles and trumpets :))

Randy Cabell