Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 19:20:59 -0800
I was raised on 10 acres outside of Hoquiam, Grays Harbor Co., Washington.
The house built in 1940 by my father was the first house built with indoor
plumbing and wired for electricity. We had a large garden, chickens, a milk
cow, and raised a calf and a pig each year. During WW II when gasoline for
tractors was scarce we had two horses for plowing that we boarded half a
mile away.

We two had a crank phone and were part of a ground return farmer line.
During the first part of WW II my parents were part of the airplane spotter
service. If a plane went overhead they were to get on the line and call RED
FLASH to get every one off the line and ring the operator and report the
plane.

We too didn't have a separator to separate the milk from the cream. We had a
screened cooling closet were the milk would sit in wide shallow pans to cool
and the cream rise to the surface where the cream would be skimmed. No
boiling and I don't know of anyone who boiled there milk.
Ed
Olympia,  WA
"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what
nobody has thought" --Albert Szent-Gyorg i (1893-1986).