From:
David Kiracofe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:19:00 -0500
I have a couple of suggestions: one more heterodox than the other:

How about John Randolph of Roanoke?  I nominate him just for his pure
love of Virginia.

My second nomination is Winfield Scott, who did not quit the Union with
secesion, and pointed the way towards the defeat of the Confederacy with
the Anaconda Plan.   Lincoln intially rejected it, but in the end it was
blueprint for what Gant and Sherman accomplished.

Dave Kiracofe

David Kiracofe
History
Tidewater Community College