From:
Jane Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:52:18 -0500
Hollis: Hi. Contact Dr. Henry Louis Gates at Harvard University. He is in charge of the African-American Studies Program and went through a similar situation with his great-great Aunt Jane who I belive was a free black woman in either Maryland or West Virginia.  There is also a woman genealogist who assisted both him and Ophrah Winfrey in the quest to trace Ophrah's roots.  Her book on this subject is out not and I just saw it at Borders Books.  A lot of the future members of the black middle and upper class ancestors got their start towards wealth by running boarding houses,barber shops and catering.  This led to contacts with sympathetic whites and others who assisted them in building wealth.  Ophrah's stoory was turned innnto a one hour program that was shown on PBS this week.  I missed it because our local PBS stations choose to show things at different times and I will be checking in with PBS.org to see when it will be showing next.  Hope this helps. Jane Steele.