From:
Brent Tarter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:33:22 -0500
This messages references some postings on Va-Hist back in May.

Va-Hist subscribers may recall that back in October 2002 the governor
ordered drastic cuts in spending and staff levels in virtually all state
agencies as a consequence of a major shortfall of revenue. At that time,
all of the staff of the Library of Virginia's Digital Library Project
lost their jobs, and the program was halted. Much of the expence of
operating the program was derived from granting institutions, but with
the loss of staff, the program was abolished.

It is true that digitizing documents and making them permanently
available in easy-to-use formats on the Internet is a very expensive
thing to do.

Brent Tarter
The Library of Virginia

Visit the Library of Virginia's web site at http://www.lva.lib.va.us