Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 13:12:01 EST
Isn't the Law of Primogeniture probably the principle reason for migration to
and around colonial America?  Plus changing fortunes as a result of the
English Civil War and subsequent political changes.

In western Piedmont North Carolina in the 1700s, it was common practice for
Daddy to leave his principle estate to his oldest son and give stipends as
needed so that younger sons could obtain land across the mountains.  Often the
younger sons were gone well before Daddy died.

I have one full generation in which this occurred. I guess my ancestors were
all descendants of the "oldest son" or married the "oldest son" since we
remained in the same place through my father's birth in the 1900s.  This cultural
practice was occurring even after Primogeniture in America was discontinued as
a legal requirement. The reason given by some  -  and it sure sounds logical
-  was that a family's landed estate shrank generation by generation, so this
was Primogeniture by choice, not by law.

Joyce Browning
Fairfax County, Virginia