From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 15:52:21 -0400
I don't have too much to say about Jamestown and its lessons but I thought I
would weigh in here because Tom Apple mentions the laws of the colony.

From my limited knowledge of American colonial history, laws tended to be
subordinated to practice.  The problem in Virginia, was also later a problem
in Georgia and Massachusetts (and New York, the list goes on:)  whether the
founding was religious or economic, colonial practice tended to displace the
Indians.  The two exceptions that come to mind are Rhode Island and
Pennsylvania but those exceptions have much to do with the remarkably pious
men, Roger Williams and William Penn, who put their stamp on the colonies
they founded.  They explicitly warned their colonists not to steal from the
native owners of the lands they were given by the King.  Roger Williams
become fluent in Narragansett and wrote a dictionary (and preaching guide)
on the Narragansett language.  William Penn negotiated directly with the
local Indians to purchase the site for Philadelphia.

So, in those selected places there was for a time harmony between European
settlers and American Indians.  Elsewhere, regardless of the laws of
companies or colonies, or even the theology of churches, settlement led to
bloodshed.  By the time of King Phillip's War in New England (1676?) even
the Narragansett went into revolt.  By the mid-18th century the Quakers
withdrew from governing Pennsylvania, unable to resolve their conflict over
their duties to western PA white settlers and their duties to nonviolence.

Put in the context of worldwide colonialism, Jamestown is hardly the worst
example (think Transvaal, Tasmania, & Algeria), nor is it the best.  It is,
for better or worse, our founding;  the founding of the United States of
America.  I think Edmund Morgan said it best, when he asked if the USA was
simply colonial Virginia writ large.
    Rhode Island had, as I remember, a 17th century statute barring slavery,
yet Rhode Island had the largest percentage of slaves in the North at the
time of the first census in 1790.  Notions of human inequality predate
notions of human equality by millennia.  It was these ideas of inequality
that Europeans brought over when they became American (Spanish, Dutch,
Portuguese, French, and English.)  Notions of human equality began to shake
many of the colonies during the "Age of Revolution:"  and if the 18th
century was the era of enslavement, the 19th century was the era of
revolution against slavery and other forms of bondage.

    This is a complex history and the moral responses to it differ amongst
our group of Virginia history enthusiasts.  Let's just agree to differ and
continue to tease out all the complexity that shaped Virginia and thus the
US.

Harold S. Forsythe