Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 23:22:14 -0500
Henry:

The examples I am sure of are those treated by Larry Powell in his book New Masters. Here he describes the movement of northern men and capital into the occupied parts of the South during and after the Civil War. It's a fascinating study, expanding on the classic work of Willie Lee Rose in Rehearsal for Reconstruction (about the Sea Islands).

If any book is likely to have some details on this subject for the antebellum decades, it is Philip S. Foner's
Business and Slavery. There may also be some discussion of it in Robert Russel's old studies of the southern commercial conventions and complaints about the "colonization" of the southern economy by northern interests (chiefly banks and mercantile houses) before the Civil War.

Doug Deal
History/SUNY Oswego