From:
Clara Callahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 17:34:03 -0800
What is a wayward Virginian?

Douglas Deal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Donald W. Moore wrote:
> This is a Virginia history list, not a Maryland or Pennsylvania or
> Florida or Nebraska history list. Please respect Virginia history as
> you would that of your own state. And please respect my ancestors whom
> you know nothing about, and I will respect yours whom I know nothing
> about.

I have to disagree--respectfully, of course--with what Mr. Moore is
saying here, if I understand him correctly.

I take exception to the (probably unintended) parochialism of the first
sentence. Virginia and Virginians have never lived in a vacuum. From the
very beginning of their history, they have been connected to other
peoples and places, and to other colonies in a rather famous rebellion
and other states in a federal system of government that survives,
despite the efforts of wayward Virginians and fellow separatists, to
this day.

I'm not sure what "respect" for Virginia history or for our ancestors
might mean, but let me guess that we are being asked to adhere to a
standard of civility and perhaps moderation--even when we are arguing
about the most intractable issues. I'm all for civility, and I can
understand the uncomfortable position we put some members of the
listserv in when we appear to speak disparagingly about groups of people
in Virginia's (or the nation's) past that might include their ancestors.
But ultimately, the most important thing a historian must respect is the
truth. Historical truths are almost always a mix of the good and the
less good, the bad and the awful. History, taken whole and
unadulterated, cannot serve the most basic needs of individuals or
groups who are looking to bolster their indentities with myths and tales
from the past. The heritage seeker extracts bits and pieces from the
records of the past, but is never obliged or inclined, as the historian
is, to seek the whole truth and let the chips fall where they may.

I hope the Virginia history list can be a civil forum for sharing new
knowledge and new enthusiasms. Little is gained by rehashing old
prejudices, or by treading so carefully around certain issues that no
one is offended. But as we disagree about issues large and small, we
should try to stick to the historical record (evidence, facts) and avoid
getting into spats that resemble the duels (and spitting contests!) of
the 19th century.

Doug Deal