Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2013 16:30:34 -0400
All,

I am pleased to announce the publication of a new book, abstracts from
Westmoreland County, Virginia Deeds & Wills No. 7; 1711; 1719-1720. The
actual name of the record book is Deeds & Wills No. 7, 1720-1722, which is
misleading.

This book fills an important gap in the published materials for
Westmoreland County. John Frederick Dorman stopped with Deeds & Wills No.
6, and the Sparacios picked up with Deeds & Wills No. 8. The only widely
published material from Deeds & Wills No. 7 to date has been the woefully
lacking 1925 book by Augusta B. Fothergill, "Wills of Westmoreland County
1654-1800. I was stunned to learn just how lacking that book is after I
finished abstracting this book and discovered she had completely omitted
29% of the decedents.

I have added a new feature to the index of this book, which I hope readers
will find useful. In addition to names and the page number, each entry
includes just what that person is doing in a given record: i.e., grantor,
grantor, witness, neighbor, testator, legatee and so on. This I hope will
save researchers a lot of time. In addition, all slaves are indexed as are
all place names under the uncrreative heading of "slaves" and "place names."

Bequests and devises in wills, and legal descriptions in deeds, are more or
less given verbatim.

The book will be available for purchase this coming Friday from John Vogt
at New Papyrus Publishing Co. http://www.genealogyresources.org/. The price
is $22. A complimentary copy will be sent to the Library of Virginia.

Craig Kilby