From:
"W. Scott Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 19:22:45 -0400
Before I go sifting through newspapers on microfilm, I though I would pose
this question to the list:

Most architectural books suggest that the first cut nails began to appear in
Virginia by 1790 or so. The first of these nails would have been small lathe
nails (cut shank with a hand hammered head) and perhaps l-head nails used to
fasten flooring. The first generation of cut nails had the grain of the iron
going across the nail, thus causing them to break if they were clenched.

For Piedmont Virginia communities (Lynchburg, for example) does the same
1790 date of appearance hold true? I think that cut lathe nails were being
manufactured at Monticello around that time, but I can't recall any other
sources for such information.

I look forward to viewing your responses,

WSB Smith
Lynchburg