Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:40:36 -0500
Mr. Bearden--

Thank you.  Your note addressed admirably precisely the
issues for which I requested your thoughts.  Thanks for
taking the time to provide them.

An additional request for you, on a more personal level.
You seem to have a certain contempt for history professors--
in posts to non-academics on this list, you have made a
number of dismissive remarks about people who do what I do.
I am not sure whether those remarks are addressed to me or
not, but if they are, I would appreciate very much a more
direct response to whatever it is I have written which
offends your sensibilities.

As it stands, your indirectness makes it hard to know how
best to respond.  For example, what have I written which
leads you to believe that I am "throwing stones at people
who lived almost 150 years ago?"  I am not sure just what I
have written that leads you to that conclusion.  After all,
my argument all along is that the southern politicians
stated their reasons for secession with some clarity, and
that we should take those statements at face value--that is,
we should not dismiss them, but rather should assume that
they meant what they said.  How could I be more respectful
of their integrity than that?

I don't think slavery was the sole reason for the war
either.  That said, remove slavery from the equation and it
is hard to imagine, for example, that the tariff policies of
the nation would have developed as they did, or that the
critical constitutional issues which South Carolina,
Georgia, and other states cited to justify secession would
have had quite the same force (Georgia cited the
Lockean/Jeffersonian right to revolution to justify
secession--but the greivance they had in mind was
northern "obstruction" of the fugitive slave clause).  So
while clearly there were other issues, it is hard to imagine
them emerging as a source of southern identity or greivance
without slavery.  In this sense, it seems to me, it is fair
to say that slavery was the fundamental underlying cause of
the war.

Warm regards,
Kevin