From:
Herbert Barger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jul 2008 20:45:16 -0400
Catherine,

Others will be soon coming out with books dealing with this very subject
also. Looks like a great cap to the full 10 years since the
Jefferson-Hemings FIASCO first burst forth to confuse the public and
lead them to believe that TJ fathered slave children. I hope you will
offer the same coverage to these future authors that you afford Mrs.
Gordon-Reed.

May I suggest that you discuss the possibility of a full investigation
into the handling of this important topic with your top management. You
would be doing a great community service to air this controversy fully.
The "he's not guilty group" would be most happy to participate in any
nationally or regionally televised debate on this subject. In fact, the
Annette Gordon-Reed broadcast would be a good time for this to be
included. You may know that AGR completely gave a 180 degree account of
a letter from TJ's granddaughter, Ellen Randolph Coolidge, to her
husband, completely changing the meaning of the subject. She did state
in her book that DNA did NOT prove that the Eston Hemings descendant was
a descendant of TJ. Let us see what her new book will have to say
regarding TJ's legacy..........I have a copy on order and will read
every word.

The Hemings family refusal to gather further DNA from a son of Madison
Hemings would make a good topic for Annette to cover.......will she?
Will she tell us about Dr. Foster's selection of a known male Eston
descendant, John Weeks Jefferson, and the fact that his family had
ALWAYS claimed descent from "a Jefferson uncle", meaning Randolph
Jefferson, younger TJ brother. SURE there would be a match, and there
was, if we are to believe the Eston family oral history, BUT
TJ.........NO! DNA does not consider given names. The test only proved
that the Eston oral history was correct..........no more no less. Eston
never claimed descent from Thomas Jefferson that Madison Hemings did.
Further, will she tell us that Madison Hemings claim in the Pike Co.,
Ohio newspaper, is an UNPROVED statement that Dolley Madison named him
on the date of his birth at Monticello on Jan. 19.1805. Research
indicates that the Madisons NEVER visited Va. from Washington during
winter. Just emagine, if you will, that Dolley, supporting her husband
as Secretary of State and Mr. Jefferson as his White House Hostess
At the beginning of a busy second term, announces that she must rush
through the dangerous mid-winter on a four day hazardous journey, to the
bedside of a slave who is to have "A MALE" birth of which she would like
to name for her husband. This was long before we could predict the sex
of a child prior to birth and what if it would have been a female? Ha,
ha, you get the point! To "slam" the white people of the time Madison
says that Sally was promised a nice gift which was not given, BUT thatb
was the procedure that white people did. The abolitionist reporter
Samuel Wetmore was "cock sure" that no one of that time could REFUTE
that preposterous claim, but modern researchers have more advanced tools
at hand. The opposition paper, The Waverly Watchman, six days later,
completely tore apart this newspaper claim in a scornful retort.

Herb Barger
Jefferson Family Historian
Asst. to Dr. Foster with the Jefferson-Hemings DNA Study