From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:27:58 -0500
The term "badge of slavery" was used in John Marshall Harlan's famous
dissent in Plessey v. Ferguson (1896) over racial segregation.  Since it was
used in a dissent, it is barely a term of art in constitutional law, let
alone a title for a doctrine.  One might as well argue, as some on the far
right have, that citizenship acquired under the 14th Amendment is a badge of
slavery.  Moreover, the Cherokee were not required to sign the treaty, they
could have taken the consequences of not signing it.  American Indians will
probably never take the 'coercion' legal argument to court for fear that
whites will make similar claims to disallow Native American treaty claims.

In any case, a treaty that is over 140 years old will almost certainly
stand.  The legal issue will be about what the treaty means.

I remember reading in John Rembar's The Law of the Land, that equity does
not favor those who sleep on their rights.  A major question that will
undoubtedly come up in court is why the Cherokees in 2007 are voting to
remove people from the tribal structure who have been free men and women
within the Cherokee Nation since Cherokee self-emancipation (that you refer
to.)

Harold S. Forsythe