From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 19:08:02 -0500
JDS,

         Glad to see you checked out the SOLs. Yes, the Va SOLs puts more
emphasis on the role of Frederick Douglass than Jefferson Davis.

         As I already told you, the SOLs are not political, the NEA does
not dictate them, and it is the teachers, subjects experts and community
members who update the SOLs every few years. The History and Social Science
SOLs were last updated two years ago.

         Notice that the SOL call for teaching the Civil War and
Reconstruction as a major turning point in American History. Could that
advise you on your negative position on the Emancipation Proclamation? If
the Emancipation Proclamation wasn't a legal or moral action, why are we
teaching our children that it was pivotal?

                                         Anne

At 06:07 PM 2/26/03 -0500, you wrote:
>        One of the parties to this chain has made me aware of the Standards of
>Learning Currently in Effect for Virginia Public Schools (apparently known as
>the "SOL").  The curriculum for the Civil War and Reconstruction period is
>described as follows:
>
>Civil War and Reconstruction: 1860 to 1877
>     The student will demonstrate knowledge of the Civil War and
>Reconstruction Era and its importance as a major turning point in American
>history by:
>     a)  identifying the major events and the roles of key leaders of the
>Civil War Era, with emphasis on Abraham Lincoln, Ulysses S. Grant, Robert B.
>Lee, and           Frederick Douglass;
>     b)  analyzing the significance of the Emancipation Proclamation and the
>principles outlined in Lincoln's Gettysburg Address;
>     c)  examining the political, economic, and social impact of the war and
>Reconstruction, including the adoption of the 13th, 14th, and 15th Amendments
>to             the Constitution of the United States.
>
>      Was Frederick Douglass a "key leader" of the "Civil War Era", as opposed
>to, say, Jefferson Davis, who justifies "emphasis", or is this just another
>example of political nincompoopism?  Am I missing something here?
>
>JDS
>

>To subscribe, change options, or unsubscribe, please see the instructions
>at http://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-hist.html

Anne Pemberton

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org