From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jun 2007 09:44:50 -0700
 I agree with you, but  would like to add that the Nation of Islam made a pretty good start on developing a racial theory and it was  that theory that eventually caused  Malcolm X --one of my heroes-- to break with them, and to say in  an interview in 1965:

   "I realized racism isn't just a black and white problem. It's brought bloodbaths to about every nation on earth at one time or another. Brother, remember the time that white college girl came into the restaurant — the one who wanted to help the Muslims and the whites get together — and I told her there wasn't a ghost of a chance and she went away crying? Well, I've lived to regret that incident. In many parts of the African continent I saw white students helping black people. Something like this kills a lot of argument. I did many things as a [black] Muslim that I'm sorry for now. I was a zombie then — like all [black] Muslims — I was hypnotized, pointed in a certain direction and told to march. Well, I guess a man's entitled to make a fool of himself if he's ready to pay the cost. It cost me 12 years. That was a bad scene, brother. The sickness and madness of those days — I'm glad to be free of them."
Some people have no idea of the transformation in Malcolm from hood to militant racist and then to a man wise enough to see the errors embedded in all racism.

--Joanne

Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]> wrote: There are sharp differences among Farrakhan, Sharpton, and Jesse Jackson
which this post fogs over.  There is no established intellectual tradition
of racism in the African-American community and there are reasons for that.
I am not saying that no African-American is racist or has developed a racial
theory, I am saying that there is no tradition and no generally accepted
template for such a theory in the rank-and-file of African-America.

The simple answer to the question why, can be found in the histories of the
chief black churches and the history of the NAACP.

The offered symmetry is, so doubt, comforting but it does not comport with
the historical record.

Harold S. Forsythe