From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 May 2006 11:15:55 -0400
Thank you Bruce and Ed Terrell for suggestions.  But I must admit that from
the vantage point of several hundred miles from Tidewater, it is daunting
for me to even think about trying to find the right building (or even get
on?) the Naval Base at Norfolk.  But we are going to be in Hampton this
weekend for Christening of a granddaughter, so I shall inquire.

Your notes about the "Pennsylvania Building" and Admiral's row brings back
fond, though distant memories.  My father was army liason officer with the
Fifth Naval District during most of WWII and we lived on the base.  I well
remember Admiral's row, and the PA house was the officers club.  I played on
the golf course in front of Admiral's row, and recall 40mm antiaircraft guns
around the perimeter of the golf course.  YE GODS!!!!!   40mm!!!!!!!  Those
things could only shoot a few thousand yards, so I don't know where they
expected swarms of Stukas to originate.  Years later, I went to graduate
business school with a guy who served in the Navy there as some sort of base
maintenance officer.  That was in the middle 1950's.  He reported how very
difficult it was to keep those big houses functioning, since they had been
built only to survive the 1907 exposition, but were still housing admirals
50 years later.  It is now 100 years later.  Are they still there, or
perhaps completely rebuilt?

Randy Cabell - Master at strolls down memory lane(s)