From:
"Terry L. Meyers" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2014 17:45:26 -0500
[I don’t believe word of this has gone out to the list….  if I’m wrong, I apologize for clogging boxes.  TLM]

If you have not already done so, we encourage you to register using the following link: http://virginiahumanities.org/created-equal/

Participation is free.  However, registration is required.

A flyer is attached in JPG format and program details follow below.  We look forward to seeing you there!
Created Equal: Slavery by Another Name

Thursday, November 6, 2014
College of William and Mary
Williamsburg, VA 23187
Hosted by

Virginia Foundation for the Humanities, African American Programs
Remembering Slavery, Resistance and Freedom Project
Alexandria Black History Museum
Humanities Council of Washington, DC
Program Schedule

9:30 AM – 12 noon: Presentation and Discussion of Slavery by Another Name
Location: Tidewater A, Sadler Center, College of William and Mary

12:00 noon – Lunch on your own

1:30 – 4:00: Presentations and Panel Discussion on Local Jim Crow
Location: The Wren Building, Great Hall, College of William and Mary
Legacies of Slavery at the College of William and Mary and Colonial Williamsburg
Professors Terry Meyers and Jody Allen will discuss the legacies of slavery at the College of William and Mary. Professor Anne Charity Hudley will discuss labor and displacement at Colonial Williamsburg.
Charles Corner: A Reconstruction African American Community Displaced by the Naval Weapons Station
Dr. Shannon S. Mahoney will discuss her analyses and work with the Charles Corner community. Ms. Edith Heard will discuss her work and experiences as an historian, activist, and member of the Charles Corner descendant community. Mr. Sherman Hill was a resident of Slabtown/ Uniontown, an African American community settled just outside of Yorktown in 1863. Mr. Hill and other Slabtown residents were forced to relocate in the 1970s by the National Park Service in order to create the Yorktown National Battlefield.  The forced displacement and subsequent destruction of Slabtown motivated Mr. Hill to raise the visibility of African American history in York County.
* An audience discussion will follow panel presentations.

Autumn Barrett, Ph.D.
Co-Director
Remembering Slavery, Resistance, and Freedom Project
A partnership of the Virginia General Assembly's MLK, Jr. Memorial Commission, The College of William and Mary, and the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities

757-221-7889
Visit us on Facebook!
Website: http://wmpeople.wm.edu/remembering