From:
Karen Reeds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:32:39 -0500
The procedings of the British Museum conference
held in conjunction with the exhibition, "A New
World: England's First View of America," will be
published soon:

British Museum Research Publication No. 172:
European Visions: American Voices, edited by Kim
Sloan, 297 x 210 mm, 208 pp, illustrations 100
colour images, Perfect bound, gloss laminated
cover, ISBN 978 086159 172 5, £40.

(Full disclosure: I contributed a paper,"Don't
Eat, Don't Touch: Roanoke Colonists, Natural
Knowledge, and Dangerous Plants of North
America.")

Harriot's biographer, John Shirley, deposited
photocopies of Harriot's manuscripts at the
University of Delaware Library--the papers were
sadly jumbled after Harriot's death, but are
fascinating to look at.

Karen

>Date:    Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:29:20 -0500
>From:    Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pre-Galileo Moon drawings by author of
>"Briefe and True Report of the New Found Land of
>Virginia "
>
>Briton drew pictures of the moon before Galileo
>
>Source: Telegraph (UK) (1-14-09)
>
>Drawings of the moon completed by British cartographer Thomas Harriot and
>pre-dating Galileo are to go on public display....
>Hariot's 1588 text was re-published in the 1590 Theodore de Bry edition of A
>Briefe and True Report of the New Found Land of Virginia" along with de
>Bry's engravings of the John White's watercolors preserved in the British
>Museum, some of which shown in the exhibition "A New World: England's First
>View of America," at the Jamestown Settlement last July 15 through October
15, 2008.
--
Karen Reeds, PhD, FLS
Guest Curator, Come into a New World: Linnaeus & America