From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2017 17:00:18 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

HAMILTON!  You can go to New York City and spend big dollars to hear about Hamilton in song.  Or you can attend our Wednesday, September 20 meeting and hear Randy Flood speak about “Alexander Hamilton: New York’s Young Revolutionary” for free.  Randy is a member of the Williamsburg Yorktown ARRT and a regular presenter at the the new American Revolution Museum at Yorktown.  Meeting details are here.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/  Who knows, maybe Randy will sing.

Our 2017 Preservation Partner is Campaign 1776 – the Waxhaws Battlefields.  Members voted overwhelmingly for the Waxhaws.  The tally is:

Campaign 1776 – Waxhaws battlefield – 40
Battersea – 12
Shockoe Cemetery – 8
St. John’s Church – 7
John Marshall House – 1  (This wasn’t nominated, but one member still supported it.)

Twelve of our eighty members chose not to vote by the extended deadline of August 11.  This means that our contribution of at least $400 will be matched by Bruce Venter’s equal amount.  Thanks to all of you and to Bruce for your generosity.

For those at the July meeting, you’ll remember that Ellen Chapman spoke to us about her graduate studies at William and Mary.  Ellen is researching the revolutionary archaeology of Richmond and is seeking our assistance and input with her project.  Here’s the survey site that Ellen described. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/D9P3SB9  Please take a few moments to offer Ellen your thoughts, knowledge, and suggestions.  She has agree to return and present her conclusions.

This from the WYARRT -

Fellow Historians & Friends,

Please Take Notice
What:      Virginia Campaign 1781
Where:    American Revolution Museum at Yorktown
When:     Saturday October 7th

Speakers will include:
Mike Cecere ~ The Invasion of Virginia 1781 (2017)
John Maass, PhD ~ The Road to Yorktown (2015)

If you attended last year's Southern Campaigns 1775-1783 you know the quality of the program and speakers.  This year will be equally as rewarding.  Please mark your calendar, tell a friend and plan to join us.

More details to come shortly.

I remain your most Obt & Hmble Servant,

Jeff Lambert, President
Williamsburg-Yorktown American Revolution Round Table

This is a follow up to their interesting and successful conference of last year that a number of us attended.  I recommend it to you.

Many have likely read of the recent death of historian Thomas Fleming.  Here’s a link to his obituary.  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/books/thomas-fleming-dead-historian-and-historical-novelist.html  This is certainly a big loss to the Revolutionary War community.  Not only was Mr. Fleming a wonderful historian, but he was also a real gentleman.  I had the privilege and pleasure of spending time with him on three occasions and can attest both to be true.  From his early Now We Are Enemies study of Bunker Hill to his The Forgotten Victory (one of my favorites – the battle of Springfield, my old home town), his books were always accurate and informative.  He was a great story teller and a prolific author, covering many periods in both fiction and non fiction.  Here’s a link to his forthcoming The Strategy of Victory https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01MSF3SDT/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2ME1A5YYSG18G&colid=2AWDD9J8J33EV  He shall certainly be missed.

Dave Riggs sent us a useful update on the current research situation at Colonial Williamsburg, due to their budget situation.  Researchers take note.

I expect that many ARRT members have read about the additional cuts that became effective at Colonial Williamsburg this month. However, there's been no publicity about the effect that it had upon the research library. Several positions have not been filled during the past few years, and this month almost the entire remaining staff were released. So the Rockefeller Library is only accessible by appointment. You might wish to share this with members pursuing research, or place an announcement in the newsletter.

Dave

 Access to CWF Rockefeller Library

The library building will be open to Colonial Williamsburg staff and volunteers from 9:00 to 5:00 Monday through Friday. A current Colonial Williamsburg ID badge will be needed to access the building.
The general public may access the building by calling 757.220.7249 and making an advance appointment.

·        Using the Collections

The reference and circulating book collections may be used by Colonial Williamsburg staff and volunteers during regular business hours and the general public by appointment only.

Colonial Williamsburg staff and volunteers may check out books from the circulating collection and circulation services will continue with College of William & Mary faculty, staff, and students in support of the Rockefeller Library’s partnership with the Earl Gregg Swem Library.

Colonial Williamsburg staff and the general public may use Special Collections, Corporate Archives, and Visual Resources but must make an advance appointment.

·        Services Provided
Reference services for inquiries related to Special Collections, the Corporate Archives, and Visual Resources collections will be provided but require an advance appointment.
General library reference services such as those of a genealogical nature can no longer be supported.

Please contact the appropriate department below to schedule your visit:
Library (general): 757-220-7249
Corporate Archives:  [log in to unmask] or 757-220-7249

Special Collections:  [log in to unmask] or 757-565-8520

Visual Resources:  [log in to unmask] or 757-565-8542
Circulation Desk (only necessary for the general public):  [log in to unmask] 757-565-8512

Finally, here’s an update on the recent revolutionary archaeology at Gloucester, VA.  http://www.vagazette.com/dp-nws-gloucester-dig-update-20170120-story.html

See you in September.

Bill