From:
Tony Lister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 12:27:46 -0500
Anne;

Herein lies the rub:

You stated:  "Better to present the resources and let the student develop
their own conclusion than to drive the conclusion to a "proper" outcome."

Your Nat Turner Page:  "Nat Turner was very intelligent and learned to read
and write easily. In spite of this, the three people who owned him never
thought to use his intelligence or to give him the freedom to use this gift.

Nat Turner became very religious and spiritual. He spent his time, even while
working, in prayer. He preached at the Negro churches throughout
Southampton County. He reported that God spoke to him in visions. Many
people, black and white, believed that Nat Turner was a prophet."

Your R.E. Lee Page:  "Robert E. Lee grew up in Virginia.  He went to West
Point and became a soldier."

Your Thomas Jonathan Jackson Page:  "Stonewall Jackson was born in
Clarksburg, Virginia which is now in West Virginia.  He went to West Point and
became a soldier.  He was a good soldier and won many victories."

I find one page based on conjecture and the two other omitting proven facts.
If a student reviews your page he/she can only come to the conclusion that
Mr. Turner was hero fighting for truth and justice.  They will never know that
R. E. Lee was a brilliant Engineer who assisted in the design and construction
of Fort Monroe that he was a hero in the Mexican American War, and was the
Superintendent of West Point.  They will never know that General Jackson was
considered by his peers and subordinates to be one of the most tactically
proficient generals West Point ever produced and that his battle plans and
decisions are still being taught today.

It is your website and as such I have no right to moan, fuss or complain.  I do
hope however, that if it is to be used to teach our youth there is some
balance added.

Very Respectfully,

Tony