From:
"Deborah A. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:52:54 -0400
The laws regarding education in Virginia did change markedly over time.
Beginning in 1631, statutes encouraged educating the poor without regard to
color. The most sweeping was an act, passed in 1796, "to establish public
schools" for the good of the republic. It "enacted that certain aldermen
shall consider the expediency of establishing schools and at every one of
these schools there shall be taught reading, writing and common arithmetic,
and all the free children, male and female, shall be entitled to receive
tuition gratis for the term of three years." (See Guild, reprint ed., p.
174)

In 1805, legislators began constricting educational opportunities for black
children, first by declaring "that it shall not be lawful for the overseers
of the poor who may hereafter bind out any black or mulatto orphan to
require the master to teach such an orphan reading, writing or arithmetic."
In 1811 each county was directed to establish "a school or schools for the
education of the poor," but in 1818 local control was granted to determine
how many and which children they shall educate. In 1829 a statute
established that public schools were for "free white" children. (pp.
174/175)

Thus the 1831 statute in the message below was the first to explicitly ban
educating free blacks, but it was passed in April, and Nat Turner's
insurrection did not occur until August 22, 1831. From this perspective, it
seems that attitudes and laws affecting African Americans were changing for
the worse even before Nat Turner. But keep in mind that these statutes only
concern education--many others restricted the rights and freedom of slaves
and free people of color, some prior to 1800. Significant examples include
the establishment of a free Negro registry and certification program in
1793 and, the same year, an act forbidding "free Negroes or mulattoes from
migrating into the Commonwealth."  (p. 95) In this light, the difference
was less a change than an intensification of persecution.

The legislative reaction to Turner's insurrection worsened conditions for
people of color. In March of 1832 the Virginia legislature passed a rather
convoluted  "act reducing into one the several acts concerning slaves, free
Negroes, and mulattoes." It does not mention education in reading and
writing but prohibited religious meetings conducted by slave or free black
preachers. It allowed masters to have "slaves, employed or bound, and free
Negroes to go with them to religious worship conducted by a white minister"
and permitted religious instruction only "in the day time by a licensed
white minister to slaves and free Negroes." It prohibited free Negroes from
purchasing slaves except for husbands, wives, and children; and from
carrying firearms except with the permission of a justice. Furthermore, it
forbade slaves and free Negroes from selling or giving away liquor near
public assemblies; and from writing, publishing, or publicly speaking
anything deemed sedititious. (p. 106-7)

Deborah Lee
Doctoral Candidate, Cultural Studies
George Mason University