From:
Peter Bergstrom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2001 08:20:52 -0500
Anytime any one comes up with a cache of old newspapers, I think it's great!

I think some cautions are in order here, however.

The earliest newspaper in Virginia was the Virginia Gazette published in
Williamsburg starting in 1736 and working it's way through several owners
and eventually two competing papers with the same name by the eve of the
Revolution.

When the capital moved to Richmond in 1780, the Gazette quickly followed.
By the 1790s (not sure of the exact dates here) a paper had been founded in
Norfolk and another in Alexandria.  For a time there was also a paper in
Fredericksburg.

If these newspapers are truly from the 18th Century -- the 1700s then, they
must be from one of these locations, and not truly Loudon County.  However,
where ever they turn out to come from, I'm sure they will make a nice
addition to our knowledge of Virginia.