From:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:05:40 -0400
Netti and others:

I agree that the number of people in the muster who gave 1609 as the date
when they arrived in Virginia aboard the Hercules makes it unlikely that
that date is a mistake and should be 1610. It seems more likely that a ship
named Hercules brought people to Virginia in 1609.

Hercules was a popular name for ships then, and the ship that arrived in
1609 may not have been the same ship that arrived with Lord Delaware in
1610.

The document from the British Library that I mentioned, which is, as Peter
Bergstrom pointed out, transcribed in Brown's early history, is also
transcribed in Edward Wright Haile, ed., Jamestown Narratives: Eyewitness
Accounts of the Virginia Colony; The First Decade: 1607-1617, pp. 454ff.

The transcription gives the names of Delaware's ships in the following
phrase: "the first of April, 1610, in the good ship the De la Warr, admiral,
accompanied with the Blissing of Plymouth, vice-admiral, and the Hercules of
Rye, rear-admiral, we weighed from the Cowes, . . ."

I believe that the references to admiral, vice-admiral, and rear-admiral
have to do with the relationships of the ships rather than people. Thus, it
appears that Lord Delaware had named his ship after himself. It is
interesting that no one in the later muster gives that name as the ship in
which he or she arrived.

John

John T. Kneebone [log in to unmask]
Director, Publications and Educational Services
Library of Virginia http://www.lva.lib.va.us