From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2012 12:16:35 -0500
Holly,

That must have been very frustrating. But year 1799 ALONE should have been a red flag--a period when the Episcopal Church was its lowest point ever and hard a time when they were building NEW ones with new congregations.

Speaking of "facts" in historical research. The article I'm writing on the War of 1812 in Virginia's Northern Neck--just for ONE incident--has so many conflicting statements from the participants themselves and--no surprise--the newspaper accounts. Reports give the number of British casualties from 5 to 260. The number of British barges from 5 to 20. The number of British soldiers from 105  to over 2,000, and time of the battled (Capture of the Dolphin) from 30 minutes to 3 hours. And these are not derivative sources in a technical sense.  Even the Captain of the Dolphin wrote at the time that some of crew deserted and rowed ashore, and that he ordered his men to shoot at them. In the same paper is a rebuttal by one of his officers who stated that was a lie, and that the Captain himself had ordered them to go ashore and to come back and get the rest.

So, getting to the bottom of the matter is not only difficult, it is impossible. I will add this because even the official reports are full of contradictions. About the only thing all sources agree on is the the Dolphin and three other schooners with her were all captured.

Craig