From:
John Kneebone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:42:28 -0500
Everyone,

I am not versed on the New Jersey standards that are criticized in the news
story below, but the larger issue when educational standards are discussed,
at least from a historian's point of view, is whether social science
standards are history-based or not. Virginia's much-discussed Standards of
Learning are history-based. The argument is that history provides a
grounding for all the social sciences. From there, of course, we can
disagree on whether Virginia 4th-graders should know about the Pilgrims, et
al.

For more on these issues, check out the National Council on History
Education, at http://www.history.org

There is an active Virginia Council for History Education, which is holding
its annual conference in Richmond on Saturday, 23 March 2002, at the
Virginia Historical Society. I could not find a Web site for the Virginia
Council, but perhaps someone else on VA-HIST can help with contact
information.

John

John T. Kneebone [log in to unmask]
Acting Executive Director, Virginia Center for the Book
Director, Publications and Educational Services
Library of Virginia http://www.lva.lib.va.us