From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 2008 14:33:04 -0400
Lyle,

What a great question, and I am hoping the answer is yes.  I am
currently working on a VFH grant to the Mary Ball Washington Museum
and Library to abstract the estate records of Lancaster County from
1835-1865.  We've finished the gathering phase and are now in the
computer input stage.  Needless to say, mention is sometimes made of
a slave being sold in Richmond, but seldom by whom.

To our surprise, such cases were rare.  Perhaps about 10 such entries
out of 1200 records.  Even less frequent was the case of a slave
being sold out of the estate at an estate sale or during the term of
an account.  Perhaps about 5 such entries for such an event.  It
seemed to be the norm to keep the slaves within the estate, and when
divided between heirs to keep them in family groups.

Regardless, I too would be interested in such a list.  It would be a
very valuable addition to this project.

Thanks for thinking of the question,

Craig Kilby
Lancaster, VA