From:
Jon Kukla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2005 15:48:55 -0500
In 1870 the General Assembly arranged for the publication of some
historical documents (if memory serves Thomas Hicks Wynne or Winn had a
hand in it) - most of the texts have been supplanted by subsequent
documentary editions, but at the time it was a service to history.  If
memory serves, one of the documents in that edition was the 1619 journal
of the first general assembly....
Jon Kukla

> I have a little book called "Colonial Records of Virginia" which was
> originally published as "Senate Document - Extra" in Richmond in 1874.
> This
> version is a reprint by the Clearfield Company from 1992.  It contains a
> 16
> page article entitled "A Briefe Declaration of the Plantation of Virginia
> During the First Twelve Yeares When Sir Thomas Smith was Governor of the
> Companie & Downe to the Present Tyme" by the Ancient Planters Nowe
> Remaining
> Alive in Virginia 1624.  All spelling is theirs.  It isn't copyrighted (or
> copyrightable) since it is just copies of lists and documents.
>
> Has anybody else seen this?  And, if so, how much credence do you give it?
> It claims they resorted to cannibalism and other equally disgusting acts.
> They put the blame squarely on Smith so I don't know how politically
> motivated it may have been.  I just cannot imagine that people would have
> hated him so much as to admit they, themselves, had resorted to such
> inhuman
> and inhumane behavior.
>
> Also, it mentions several times that they built houses that fell down.
> Did
> they not have tools?  Or skills?  They were in a dense forest so they
> surely
> had plenty raw materials.  During the same time period they mention
> erecting
> forts.  Did the forts fare any better and, if so, why?
>
> Mildred "Mickey" Fournier
> 1730 SE CR 252
> Lake City, FL 32025

Dr. Jon Kukla, Executive Vice-President
Red Hill - The Patrick Henry National Memorial
1250 Red Hill Road
Brookneal, Virginia 24528
www.redhill.org
Phone 434-376-2044 or 800-514-7463