From:
Bill Crews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2010 15:53:45 -0700
Census takers have always been allowed to inquire with neighbors, etc., if an
actual home visit enumeration wasn't possible. That practice continues today. So
if someone is absent when the enumerator passes through they might ask a
neighbor the age/names etc of the missing people. One also suspects that
sometimes the enumeration sheets were filled out from memory/knowledge of
associates of the enumerator as a way of reducing workload. This had advantages
as usually enumerators prior to about 1930 were paid on a per capita basis.