From:
Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:47:05 -0500
I'm surprised that no one has taken up Harold's suggestion to look at
the issues raised in Mark Neely's work on civil liberties in the Civil
War North and South, i.e. his book Southern Rights: Political Prisoners
and the Myth of Confederate Constitutionalism. It seems like a fair
question to compare Jefferson Davis's record on civil liberties with
Lincoln's.   Neely, as Harold suggests, "reluctantly concludes that the
CSA had many more political prisoners than the USA held," and did all of
the things for which people on this list have excoriated Lincoln,
including suspending habeas corpus. The CSA's actions included
imprisoning members of German social organizations here in Richmond
based on a general sense that they posed a threat, and the maintainance
of overtly political prisons such as Castle Thunder.  I don't find this
terribly surprising, given the exigencies of war that both Davis and
Lincoln faced, but it seems that a bit of a double standard is at play
here.

Gregg Kimball