From:
"Lonny J. Watro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 17:14:22 -0500
I too struggle with understanding the morality of the early Virginians. One
of my descendants was an early Virginian Baptist minister, who seems to have
been quite well loved by his perishiners. He was Valentine M. Mason
(1783-1843). Some of the reseach I have read about him is housed at the
Virgiania Baptistist Historical Society at the Uni. of Richmond. It suggests
that one evening he decided that his daily alcholic beverage with dinner was
an abomination and he told his servant (a slave) to take it away and no
longer serve it to him. From that day on he never drank another alcoholic
beverage. Yet I never read anything where he felt that owning another person
as property was an offensive to God. I find it very sad that someone would
think that drinking alcholic beverages would send one to hell and that
owning another person as a slave was not sinful.

Lonny Watro