From:
Ray Terry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 22:42:25 -0500
 <<<why was it important to differentiate between black and mulatto in the first place?>>

The late Ned Heite had this to say --

"...the Virginia legislature passes a law stating that the         child of a white and an Indian is a mulatto, but the child of a white         and a half Indian (that is, with one Indian grandparent) is white. This         rule seems to have held in Delaware and Maryland, too.
Why do legislatures         pass laws? Because some constituent believes there is an issue to be addressed.         We don't talk about gun laws unless there is gun violence. Clearly there         is a reason to enfranchise as "white" anyone with only one Indian         grandparent. My suggestion: The legislators, or their constituents, needed         to define a difference between "mulatto" and "white"         for purposes of the civil law.

"The logical inference         from the Virginia legislature's definition is that there must have been         plenty of white planters with Indian ancestry who wanted their franchise         protected during a period when racial divides were becoming sharper and         sharper.

"Indian wives would         help explain why so many genealogies are easily traced through the male         line, but hit dead ends at the female side. If the mother was an Indian,         and if the marriage was sanctioned only in the most irregular way, a child's         legal record (in cases of probate for example) would refer only to his         or her father's side, the mother's family being outside the English legal         system."

So 'mulatto' includes white/Native American mix as well as white/African.  Mulattoes had to be differentiated from African because a mulatto may have been an 'important' persons grandpa.

 More -- http://nativeamericansofdelawarestate.com/Who%20is%20an%20Indian.htm

Ray