Date:
Thu, 9 Oct 2008 05:07:16 -0400
Ms. Zolkover writes:  "I hope I am not offending you as a professor that teaches about Thomas Jefferson . . ."

Its not clear precisely to whom she is writing--but since my words are appended below her lengthy post, I presume this is addressed to me.

Ms. Zolkover then writes:  "I emphatically question the motives of people who have an agenda to publish BIASED AND MISINFORMING opinions and conclusions [and to the extent that
they ignore most pertinent scientific evidence and historic evidence, LIES] about the very person who probably did the most, in his day, to end slavery."

Ms. Zolkover is admirably vague here.  But since it seems to me that this is written in reference to *me*, it does seem that she does in fact intend to question my *motives* in this conversation.  If her post is not intended as a reply to me, then why quote my words, in the post history?

I have in fact published nothing at all about Jefferson--my professional standing in the academy (such as it is) does not rest on scholarship about Jefferson.  I participate in this conversation mostly because, as a historian of Virginia history who is paid to teach Virginia history by the tax payers of the State of Virginia, I believe I have an obligation to do so.  When I comment on what historians have written about Jefferson, and on what I have read in the primary sources, and on what I find reasonable to conclude based on my reading and study, I simply have nothing to gain, either in reputation or financially, by speaking other than what I believe.

So--Ms. Zolkover--I do think that questioning my motives is rather rude of you, despite your protestation above that you hope you are not offending me.  I think at the very least you have been uncivil to me, and that nothing that I have written warrants it.

That said, I am not really offended, save only in the sense that I regret that the civility in this thread has degenerated to such a degree that even people who have participated in the thread in good faith are subject to ad hominem attacks.

We are Virginians--a people who once were famous for our civility.  We are better than this.

All best,
Kevin

Kevin R. Hardwick, Ph.D.
Department of History