From:
"S. Corneliussen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 10:20:33 -0400
Yes, amen to what Professor Hardwick wrote below, and yes, of course, let's
be precise about what others have actually said before taking issue with it.

In the spirit of that precision, I note that he mentions the "over statement
or misrepresentation of the DNA evidence, of the kind alleged by an earlier
poster." Alleged? The word _alleged_ gets my notice. If I'm that earlier
poster -- and maybe I'm not, in which case I apologize for troubling
everyone -- I propose that the examples I gave are not allegations of
overstatement or misrepresentation (or outright error), but clear examples.

Just to repeat a clear example of outright error: In 2004, Science magazine,
published by the world's largest scientific organization, in effect made law
professor Lori Andrews the leading ethicist concerning what she rightly
calls biohistory, the inclusion of biology in historical scholarship.
Science did that by printing a major science ethics article on which she was
the lead author, and in which the authors made clear that the DNA itself
cannot distinguish among the (more than two dozen, scientifically speaking,
but we'll stay off that headcount issue for the moment) paternity
candidates. Only historical evidence can bear on candidate selection. Yet
last year, in the widely circulated Sunday magazine Parade, Professor
Andrews wrote:
QUOTE
Across the globe, scientists are using the latest medical and forensic
techniques to investigate the behavior, diseases, causes of death and
lineage of historic figures. Beethoven's hair has been analyzed to locate
genes related to musical ability and to see if lead poisoning caused his
eccentricities. Einstein's brain was tested for a genetic predisposition to
aneurysm. And DNA analysis indicated that Thomas Jefferson fathered a child
with his slave Sally Hemings.
UNQUOTE

DNA analysis did that? Hmmmmm.

"DNA analysis of the Y chromosome," the reporting scientists wrote
originally in Nature, "can reveal whether or not individuals are likely to
be male-line relatives." That's all that DNA analysis can do. True, what
those scientists called their "molecular findings" did reveal some important
facts about male-line relationships, but the rest requires leaving the realm
of science and entering the realm of historical evidence and historical
interpretation.

I can supply more examples of DNA overstatement, misrepresentation, and even
outright error if you'd like to hear them, and I can inundate you with
examples if we include journalists.

And lest I be charged with dragging red herrings into the volatile,
polarized paternity debate between Hemings partisans and Jefferson
defenders, I reiterate that I'm in neither camp. I'm a paternity agnostic
trying to defend the special authority of science from abuse in an important
public discussion, not only because it matters here, but because it matters
intrinsically.

Again, however, I apologize if I have misconstrued Professor Hardwick's
comment. Some of what appears in this forum can get pretty tiresome, and I
don't want to contribute to that any more than I have to.

Steven T. Corneliussen
Poquoson, Virginia
(and also Jefferson Lab, Newport News, Virginia)