From:
Reyesuela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:57:03 -0800
This occurred in the middle of the 17th century, when I doubt there was a great deal of accountability for the treatment of slaves or indentured servants away from the major settlements--not that there was terribly much later.  I'm sure, if Ciciley had chosen, she could have put the slave girl on trial.  However, there were no consequences for her to assume guilt and carry out retribution personally, which she chose to do.  I didn't claim that a slave *couldn't* go on trial---only that the slave didn't get one and that there were no repercussions because of it.

WriteRomance Online Critique Group
http://romancecritiquegroup.tripod.com
Read excerpts, articles on writing and critiquing, and more!