From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Aug 2014 15:10:03 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

Hi Folks,

Come join us as we follow Lafayette playing cat and mouse with Cornwallis in the critical months before Yorktown.  Our friend Dr. John Maass will be back for another visit to present “The Road to Yorktown: Jefferson, Lafayette, and the British Invasion of Virginia” at the next meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of Richmond on Wednesday, September 17.  John has made two previous very well received presentations, so you can count on more of the same.  Times and details are at http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/.  Another reminder will follow before the meeting.  Non members are most welcome to attend.

A few other items of interest...

1. Here’s information about an upcoming Allen McLane Seminar in Delaware from our friend Tom Welch.  McLane is a most interesting revolutionary character.  Registration details will follow.

Dear Friends of Allen McLane:

1-  There will be an daylong symposium of Allen McLane on Saturday, October 25, 2014 at Wesley College.  If you are interested and free that day, I think you will enjoy hearing from five persons who have researched and/or written about the life and military career of Allen McLane.
2 - A 150 page booklet is being produced that will be distributed initially to the participants to the symposium.  Other copies will be made available to schools, libraries and interested scholars.
3 - The first fifty persons who register to attend the symposium will also receive a set of 6 Allen McLane post cards that were produced for distribution by the Delaware American Revolutionary Bicentennial Commission in 1976.  The cards include: the Charles Wilson Peale portrait of McLane, the James Peale painting "The Ambush of Captain McLane", the McLane Armory in Smyrna, his Smyrna home (one of two), the deed to land by McLane on which Asbury Methodist Church in Smyrna was built, and his grave site in Wilmington.
4 - In May the State Library staff put together a McLane website known as a LIBGUIDE.  It’s here http://guides.lib.de.us/allenmclane

2. New member Chan Mohney, a CIA retiree, offers this concerning Revolutionary War intelligence, which seems to be getting more attention with a number of new books and TV’s “Turn” series.  Thanks, Chan.

There are two pubs that the CIA’s Center for the Study of Intelligence has published.  They are both on line.  Go to https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/books-and-monographs/index.html.  “The Founding Fathers of American Intelligence” was published in 1999.  The other pub, “Intelligence in the War of Independence” was published in 1997.

3. Here comes a new movie entitled “The General” about ... http://hnn.us/article/156637  There’s not much more in the entire article, so keep an eye out for details.

4. Bruce Venter sent along this from his daughter Jessica.  It’s a fascinating look at the Declaration of Independence.  Thanks to you both.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2014/08/john_hancock_s_declaration_of_independence_signature_was_it_too_big.html

5. And speaking of Bruce, here’s an upcoming October tour from his Americas History, LLC.  Ed Lengel, Rich Bellamy, both past speakers, and another guy are leading this Philadelphia and Monmouth Campaign tour.  http://americashistoryllc.com/2013/12/the-philadelphia-campaign-and-washingtons-victory-brandywine-germantown-monmouth-and-more-october-15-18-2014/  Please consider joining us.  It will be a great trip.

6. Here’s a fine example of preservation dollars put to good use, including a number of revolutionary sites.  http://www.revolutionarynj.org/national-park-service-awards-1-3-million-in-battlefield-preservation-grants/

7.  Many of you regularly check Todd Andrlik’s outstanding on-line Journal of the American Revolution.  Eleven ARRTs, including Richmond, have banned together in an publicity campaign.  Details are here http://allthingsliberty.com/2014/08/american-revolution-round-tables/.  This effort, spearheaded by Christian McBurney of the DC ARRT, will run for about four months.  Thanks to both Christian and Todd.  There’s a link to JAR on our own site.

8. In addition to being a wonderful speaker and tour guide, John Maass is always a source of interesting stories.  Here are two, about dollars and digging.  http://www.udel.edu/udaily/2015/jul/continental-currency-072414.html and http://online.wsj.com/articles/a-battleground-dig-yields-artifacts-1408156948

9. Remember that John will be leading our November 16 tour following Lafayette in this Virginia campaign.  So far, twenty members have said that they will tentatively join us.  If you also plan to, but have yet to respond, please do so now.  We need to make final bus arrangements.

10. Finally, I know that a number of our members are working on American Revolution projects.  I can readily think of three members with new books coming out soon or in progress.  I would like to highlight and give recognition to these and other efforts, but only with your permission.  What else are you working on that would interest all of us?  Please let me know, so I can share it.  Thanks.

And thanks for reading what was anticipated to be a short note that ended up quite long.  See you in September.

Bill Welsch