From:
Jurretta Heckscher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2009 10:04:59 -0500
Yes, Steve, you're right: the relevant letter is the following:

Thomas Jefferson to Giovanni Fabbroni, June 8, 1778
Original (draft) is here:
http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=mtj1&fileName=mtj1page001.db&recNum=947
but, um, good luck with that; so transcript is here:
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/etcbin/toccer-new2?id=JefLett.sgm&images=images/modeng&data=/texts/english/modeng/parsed&tag=public&part=12&division=div1

Hope this helps, Randy!

--Jurretta Heckscher