From:
"Peter J. Lysy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2009 10:28:22 -0500
The NPS web site mentioned below is an index to  the National Archives'
compiled military service records (CMSRs). The CMSRs are arranged by unit
and then by individuals within the unit. During the war some units evolved
into new units: in many of these cases, separate CMSRs were compiled for
each of the units, which means that in these cases a man who served in both
units will have two CMSRs. Likewise, a man might have served in one unit
and then was transferred to another, or was discharged from the first and
later enlisted in another, or even deserted from one and joined another. In
each of the cases, multiple CMSRs exist for the same man.

The number shown below  (281,205) is the total number of CMSRs that exist
for Virginia soldiers, but that number includes plenty of men counted twice
or three or even four times. I think a more accurate estimate of the number
of individual soldiers from Virginia is on the order of 125,000 individuals.

Peter Lysy
Senior Archivist
University of Notre Dame