From:
Alex Colvin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2007 00:29:00 -0500
Greetings:

In the tax lists referenced in the header, the Landowner listed is William Waller
and his tithable, Charles Colvin. Next to Charles' name, Foote lists the acreage
as 400 and the number of slaves as 2. My trouble is trying to decern who the
land and slave-owner is: Charles or Waller? In personal property tax lists, a
few years later, Charles is taxed on what the tax commisioner identifies
as "Charles Colvin's Quarter," which I understand indicates an Overseer. If this
holds true, am I correct in assuming Charles is the land-owner being taxed in
1766, which is why Foote listed the acreage next to his name? Or am I missing
something?

Thanks in advance for any assist.

Alex Colvin,
History student,