From:
Kevin Hardwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 16:24:33 -0500
Mr. Watro--

I really am not in fundamental disagreement with you here--nor, I would
guess, are my colleagues (although I cannot presume to speak for them).

To my mind, the importance of studying Jefferson's entanglement with
slavery--and similarly Washington's, and Henry's, and Mason's, and so
on--is that it offers us insight not only into the founding but also into
ourselves.  We are all of us, ultimately, flawed.  As Madison famously
wrote in Federalist 51, "if men were angels, no government would be
necessary."  But of course we are not angels--not us, not Jefferson, not
Madison, not the very best of humanity.  Both Madison and Jefferson
inferred important lessons from this truth about the consequences of human
fallibility and imperfection for republican government.  The fact that
Jefferson owned slaves, in direct contradiction to his own beliefs and in
full knowledge that it had corrosive civic consequences for the society in
which he lived, strikes me as an especially salutary reminder that we
cannot expect perfection in any of our leaders, and that human fallibility
mitigates against placing too much power into any one person's hands.  At a
time in which public life is every bit as caustic as the politics in which
allegations about Jefferson's affair with Hemings first made their
appearance, this strikes me as directly relevant.  We require an engaged
citizenry now every bit as much as we did then, because we still live in a
republic.

Warm regards,
Kevin

--On Saturday, March 30, 2002 3:45 PM -0500 "Lonny J. Watro"

--
Kevin R. Hardwick, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor