From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:30:22 -0500
Donald,

I am not a "man hater", but I am also not a "man worshiper". I do not
believe that the primary function of women is to bear and raise children. I
do not  know if Martha gave an intelligent consent to being made pregnant so
many times. By all other accounts she seems a sensible, pragmatic woman who
would realize that she just was not made for baby-making.

So, you are offended by my comments about her excessive pregnancies. I am
offended by those who project a sterling character to a man who so abused
his wife. I am deeply offended by the attempt to portray Jefferson as a
saint, when indeed he killed the woman he loved because he wouldn't keep his
pants buttoned. And, before you get all fuzzy about love, read Jon Kukla's
"Jefferson's Women", and learn how much he loved Martha when he
propositioned Betsy Walker in the same house where Martha was blissfully
sleeping.

So match your being offended by my being offended and see which rises!

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org