From:
"Hardwick, Kevin - hardwikr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Dec 2012 18:49:55 +0000
We need to take care not to make the opposite error, either, and presume that Jefferson's paternity has been dis-proven.  There is strong circumstantial evidence to suggest that Jefferson was the father of some of Heming's children.

But in the absence of documentary or scientific "proof" (scare quotes here, because all evidence has to be interpreted--it is the very rare historical fact that "speaks for itself") of the matter, that's all we have--a circumstantial case that is, to my eye anyway, about what it was 25 years ago.  It was plausible then, and it is plausible now.  The DNA evidence did allow us to rule out some of the other contenders for paternity, most prominently the Carr brothers, for at least one of Heming's children.  We know, however, that Hemings had children by at least two different men, so the Carr brothers are still very much in the picture, at least so it seems to me.  To my eye, the walk away from all of this is that enslaved women were extremely vulnerable to sexual exploitation.

Scrupulous scholars will usually signal matters of evidential interpretation of this nature in their annotation or in the text of their argument.
Kevin R. Hardwick
Associate Professor
Department of History, MSC 8001
James Madison University