From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 10:15:46 -0400
don't want to get into an extended discussion of slavery here, since the
issue is NOT slavery, but whether it was a war of Northern Aggression;
If Harold is right, that NYC profited almost as much from slavery as the
South (which I this is an overstatement) then it would have made no
sense for the states of the North to make war on the South.  In fact,
NOTHING in the Republican platform or Lincoln's policies suggested
making war on the South.

Now, Harold may be correct in arguing that the North should have
seceded from the nation to forma  free northern nation (this is the
Garrisonian position).  But that is a separate argument.

Paul Finkelman
President William McKinley Distinguished Professor of Law
     and Public Policy
Albany Law School
80 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York   12208-3494

518-445-3386

To Paul and All:

    Surely what Paul says about the early American republic as compared
the C.S.A. is accurate.  Yet, what remains unsaid in this discussion is
the
cancer at the heart of the Republic declared in 1776 and the
Confederacy
declared in 1861:  slavery.  The Founders built a republic with a 20%
slave
population:  disfranchised and exploited.  The C.S.A.'s slave
population
approached 40%.
    We, north of the Mason-Dixon Line would like very much to lionize
George
Washington to the denigration of Jefferson Davis but the fact is that
they
were both large scale planters with slaves in the hundreds.  True
Washington
put in motion the manumission of his slaves while Davis moved to extend
the
life of the exploitative system but by 1860 New York City found slavery

almost as profitable as did South Carolina.
    American history is really complicated.  Malcolm X, of all persons,
said
in one of his last recorded speeches:  "[s]top talking about the
South!!  As
long as you are south of the Canadian border, you're in the South."

Harold S. Forsythe