From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 May 2015 20:47:30 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND UPDATES
Hi Folks,

Here are some items that should be of interest.

1.  Our member John Millar will be speaking this Thursday, June 4 at the Williamsburg Yorktown ARRT.  Here are details and some other information about John’s research.

“My talk to the Williamsburg-Yorktown ARRT, entitled “What Was Benedict Arnold Doing in Virginia?” will be at 6.30 PM at the Grace Church Parish House in Yorktown on Thursday 4th June.  http://williamsburg-yorktownarrt.weebly.com/

“In unrelated news that I hope you will kindly share with ARRT-R, I have been working since 1962 on the life of Peter Harrison (1716-1775), who died a few days after Lexington & Concord, essentially from the shock of it. He was arguably the greatest architect ever to have worked in America. My work is now published in two books. The more expensive one is published by McFarland & Company, and is mostly text with only a few illustrations. The less expensive one is mostly illustrations with only basic text, and is available from Thirteen Colonies Press. Order either or both from your favorite bookseller or Amazon.  Thanks!”

2.  Don’t forget that our July meeting has been moved to August 12.  Our own Mark Lender will speak on “The Traitor’s Epiphany: Benedict Arnold in Virginia and His Quest for Vindication.”  This will be a joint ARRT-R an d U of R Osher meeting.  Details will follow.  Join both John and Mark and see how they agree and disagree about that contentious character Arnold.

3.  Harry Ward was recently featured in The Richmond Times Dispatch about his “flock of herons.”  http://www.richmond.com/news/article_477b23f1-d4b6-5f8f-9758-218a834a8591.html  Mention is made of Harry’s new book Children of the Streets of Richmond.  It’s here http://www.amazon.com/Children-Streets-Richmond-1865-1920-Harry/dp/0786498536/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433117179&sr=1-1&keywords=harry+ward++children+of+richmond.

4.  Here’s  preliminary information from Carole and George Summers about the annual Francis Marion / Swamp Fox Symposium.

    Greetings to History Buffs & Francis Marion Admirers:  Near the anniversary of the success at Fort Watson 234 years ago, save the date & plan to come: 13th Francis Marion/Swamp Fox Symposium Oct 23-24, 2015, Manning, SC

   Topics to be included:

   Comparing & Contrasting Francis Marion and David Fanning

   The Spartan District

   Dorothy Sinkler Richardson Reflecting on General Richard Richardson

   Kings Mountain - The Rest of the Story

   Come to the Cow Pens!

   Analysis of the Bridges Campaign, starting at Wyboo through Correspondences

   The Aged Francis Marion Recalling his Best Memories

 Site: FE DuBose Campus, Central Carolina Technical College, I-95, Exit 122, Manning, SC

                                  You're invited to register & participate  For October 23-24, 2015   www.FrancisMarionSymposium.com

5.  Andy Keller sent along information about this upcoming Jefferson tour.   Thanks, Andy.

June 20th, Saturday, Bus Tour - "Jefferson's Flight from Monticello"

On June 20, a bus tour sponsored by the Nelson County Historical Society will retrace Jefferson's flight from Monticello. History and Thomas Jefferson’s character can be brought alive by following his known travel routes. Nowhere is his character better appreciated or understood than during this historic flight from Monticello which began on the 4th of June 1781 as Tarleton’s troops entered Charlottesville intent on capturing the Virginia Governor and author of the Declaration of Independence.

Join Nelson County Historical Society members Dick Whitehead and Doug Coleman as they retrace Jefferson’s historic flight from Monticello through the now-neglected back roads of Albemarle, Nelson and Amherst Counties, ending at Geddes, the home of Hugh Rose where Jefferson and his family took refuge for several nights en route to Poplar Forest.  Points of interest: several historic ordinary sites; Fairmount Baptist Church - lunch break;  Cabellsville - site of the Colonial Era Amherst County Courthouse. - archaeologist on site to relate recent findings.

To make reservations and purchase tickets email [log in to unmask] or call 434-263-8400.   Tour cost - $30 per person and Society members $20 per person - bring your own lunch.  Parking at The Nelson Memorial Library, Lovingston, VA  9:00 AM - 4:00 PM.

More information at www.nelsonhistorical.org.

6.  Here are articles from the Virginia History list about Yorktown.

An interesting dispute about history at Yorktown involving tobacco, slavery, and commemoration:

http://wydaily.com/2015/05/08/local-news-yorktown-waterfront-tobacco-press-at-risk-for-removal/ <http://wydaily.com/2015/05/08/local-news-yorktown-waterfront-tobacco-press-at-risk-for-removal/>

Here’s a study that suggests that at least once a tobacco press was located not too far away at a waterfront location:

http://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/stagsere/se1/se5/002300/002388/pdf/msa_se5_2388.pdf <http://msa.maryland.gov/megafile/msa/stagsere/se1/se5/002300/002388/pdf/msa_se5_2388.pdf>

Terry L. Meyers, Chancellor Professor of English, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg Virginia  23187 757-221-3932

7.  As a New Jersey guy, I especially enjoyed this new video from Mount Vernon entitled The Winter Patriots.  http://www.mountvernon.org/site/animated-washington/winter-patriots/?utm_source=Mount+Vernon&utm_campaign=ee4dec2f30-Winter+Patriots+-+promo&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0a9fb91d40-ee4dec2f30-231202453  Be sure to also check the Yorktown video.

8.  At the last meeting, I mentioned Bruce Venter’s The Battle of Hubberdton.  I highly recommend it to you.  It’s here http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Hubbardton-Military-Bruce-Venter/dp/1626193258/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433114960&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=hubberdton

9.  Also recommended is Todd Andrlik’s forthcoming Journal of the American Revolution Annual Volume 2015.  Based on pre-orders, it should go fast.  http://allthingsliberty.com/annual-volume-2015/ and http://www.amazon.com/Journal-American-Revolution-Annual-2015/dp/159416228X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433115411&sr=1-1&keywords=journal+of+the+american+revolution The book is offered by Westholme Publishing.  http://westholmepublishing.com/   Bruce Franklin has become the premier publisher of American Revolution books.  He deserves your patronage.

10.  According to Amy Bridge at the Library of Virginia, our 2014 adopted American Revolution documents have been conserved and are ready for digitizing.  This project will also be featured in an upcoming issue of Broadside, either the summer or fall.

Within the next few days, all 2015 dues paying ARRT-Richmond members will be receiving an email listing the nominees for our 2015 Preservation Partner.  As we did last year, voting will be on line.  If you do not receive the email, we encourage you to reenlist for this year at http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/directors.html   Your preservation dollars are important.

Thanks for reading this long epistle.  See you in August.  Enjoy your summer.

Bill Welsch