From:
Michael Nicholls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 20:08:26 -0700
I can assure the list that I made no such suggestion about naming
creeks in a offensive manner in Lunenburg in order to keep government
and civil folk at some remove.... That they would do so probably says
more about the state of civil society in early Lunenburg and probably
arose as a form of joke between the person taking up land and the
surveyor laying out the plot for a land patent. Maybe even something
so prosaic as that is the F...king creek my cow got stuck in....
Interestingly,  the clerk in Williamsburg  while recording one of the
patents along F...king Creek was struck by the name and copied the
creek name in large bold letters--Mick Nicholls