From:
Tom Costa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:43:05 -0400
Dear Va-histers:
    I would like to inform va-hist subscribers that I have added more
than 600 new runaway slave and servant advertisements to my web project,
"Virginia Runaways." (http://www.uvawise.edu/history/runaways/)
    This project, developed with the help of the Virginia Foundation for
the Humanities, the Virginia Center for Digital History at UVA and the
etext center at UVA, is intended to be a comprehensive collection of ads
for runaway slaves and servants placed in colonial Virginia newspapers.
At this time there are over 2000 ads online. The transcripts are fully
searchable. Users may wish to examine an addition to the project that I
have called "Supporting Material," (.../runaways/other.html)  that
comprises court records, planter records and other material I've found
dealing with the individuals listed in the ads. A new feature is that
each individual is now a hot link. Clicking on the name will produce a
separate page of all ads listing that individual. I welcome your
feedback.
Tom Costa
UVA's College at Wise