From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:57:02 EDT
In our discussions regarding Thomas Jefferson, Geo. Washington, et.al., and
the morality of slavery, I just want to underscore some statements made over
the weekend regarding the fact that slavery was common in almost all cultures
and had been for millenia, and it seems there wasn't much sleep lost over it
for the political and social elites.  In the Dark Ages, the inhabitants of
England used to sail on over to Ireland at night and "steal people" (Thomas
Cahill, "How the Irish Saved Civilization").  If you were an unprotected
person near any major trading route throughout Europe and the Middle East,
you were prey for the slave trade.  If you were a man, you'd be put to
physical labor (though the young may have made attractive catamites) and if
you were a presentable female, your most critical duties would likely not be
housekeeping.

An early Virginia example illustrating that there was little damage to one's
reputation in political or religious circles for being not only a slave owner
but a slave trader that caused considerable handwringing appeared on the
Quaker-Roots list not too long ago.  (Quakers being among the early leaders
in manumission societies, abolition, etc.)

To wit, John Pleasants of Curles, Henrico Co. VA, was appearantly -- along
with partner and bigwig Richard Kennon -- a slave merchant.  John Pleasants
was also the founder of one of the most prominent lines of Virginia Quakers,
and was by consensus a Quaker at the time (1680s).

The following is an excerpt from a post on the Quaker-Roots list that got the
discussion going:

"<snip>the Quaker, John Pleasants, the emigrant
of Curles, Henrico, wasn't just a slave owner - he was a slave merchant.

I purchased a tattered first edition copy of the "Economic History
of Virginia in the Seventeenth Century - Vol II" by Philip Alexander Bruce.
It was in an antique store and the copyright date is 1895.  The subtitle of
the book is "An Inquiry Into the Material Condition of the People, Based Upon
Original and Contemporaneous Records."  Bruce authored a profuse number of
books well into the 1900's and was one time the corresponding secretary of
the Virginia Historical Society.

On page 82 is the footnote:
 ...extract from a letter of William Byrd, dated June 21, 1684:  "Mr. Paggin
(a London merchant) sent about a fortnight since into these parts, 34 negroes
with a considerable quantity of dry goods and seven or eight tons of rum and
sugar, which I fear will bring our people much into debt and occasion them to
be careless with the tobacco they make."  Letters of
William Byrd.  These negroes, it seems, were placed in the hands of Mr.
Kennon and Mr. Pleasants for sale.

On page 100 is the footnote:
...On the petition of John Pleasants and the motion of Richard Kennon,
consignees of William Paggin and Company, "desiring the resolution of this
Right Worshipful Court concerning some negroes of the said Company consigned
them to sell, but at ye time of listing tithables, remaining in their
possession undisposed of... Records of Henrico County, vol. 1682-1701, p. 81,
Va. State Library."

(Apparently Kennon and Pleasants wanted to avoid paying personal property
taxes on their "inventory" of slaves .)

I hope this is of interest to some of you.  John Pleasants is of interest to
me as he is a many greats step-grandfather of my children, through their
paternal line.  They descend from Pleasant's wife Jane Larcome who was first
married to Capt. Samuel Tucker, via their daughter Mary Tucker who married
John Woodson, and began an endless stream of Tucker Woodsons.  I have some
wills, and other records on early Pleasants if anyone is interested.

Best Regards,

Janet Lee (Baugh) Hunter