From:
Richard Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2012 18:17:25 -0400
It would be desirable to explore the background with more questions, but
taking this as a legal exam, I would conclude as follows:

This notice arises from a partition suit, which is the remedy when real
estate has multiple owners who wish to divide their interest, but the
property is not divisible, so the only remedy is to sell the property,
and divide the money (unless one of the owners is willing to buy out the
other owners). Partition is often used to divide family owned real estate.

In this case, we have a missing “owner” Samuel Christian, who could not
be served personally, so the law provides that an order of publication
will satisfy the requirement of personal jurisdiction that allow the
court to sell his interest (it is not forfeited to the other parties in
the suit, but is held in trust).

Charles Wills was apparently the owner of the property, and when he
died, the ownership of the property descended to his children (we don’t
know whether by will or intestate succession) who were Charles Wills Jr,
Sarah (married to John Alvey), Elizabeth (who was married to Samuel
Christian), and Mary (married to Austin Lipscomb), and Josiah Wills.

The 1835 suit may have been started by Charles Wills Jr against John
Alvey, but the 1840 notice doesn’t seem to be connected to that suit
(although it may be connected to the same property). The connection is
unclear because the notice does not reference Charles Wills Jr as a
plaintiff or defendant, nor do we know what happened to him.

The plaintiffs are Richard Alvey (probably the son of John Alvey), and
Sarah Alvey, as executors of the will of John Alvey (it is not clear why
the estate of John Alvey would be an heir). Josiah would have an
interest as a son, but is named as a “survivor” of Rawlins and Wills,
which firm apparently had some interest in the property. Neither Mary
nor Austin is named as a plaintiff, so we can assume both are dead with
no surviving children. Elizabeth is not a plaintiff, so apparently is
deceased (with no surviving children), but her husband Samuel Christian
has a curtsey interest in her share. Samuel Christian is the sole named
defendant, but it does note “and other,” but we are not sure who that is.

Richard Dixon